4 Days Mount Meru Trekking
4 Days Mount Meru Trekking, After breakfast, you will be transferred to Momella gate to begin the trek of Mt. Meru. Three hours walk gets you to the floor of the Meru Crater. Afternoon explores the Meru Crater. Overnight at Miriakamba Hut. After breakfast Climb to Saddle Hut which will take about three hours along the steep Saddle walls to Saddle Hut. After Lunch explore little Meru. Overnight at Saddle Hut. Early morning ascends to the summit of Mt. Meru which will take up to Five hours.
Explore the summit then descend to Miriakamba Hut for overnight. Descend to Kitoto and proceed to Momella Gate, continue to Momella Wildlife Lodge. Usually, Mt Meru Climb is done in Two nights three days but since descending take about seven hours, some clients might’s want to do it in Three Nights Four days. These rates include Park Entrance Fees, Hut, and rescue, Porters, Guides and all Meals. They don’t include Accommodation at Momella Wildlife Lodge.
- Momella Gate 1500 m
- Little Meru 3820 m
- Meru Summit 4566 m.
Day 1: Drive to Momela Gate Mount Meru
After breakfast drive to Momela Gate, Mount Meru is inside Arusha National Park which will allow you to see animals like buffalo, white colobus monkey, giraffe, Baboons, Warthogs and a number of Birdlife. picnic lunch with you, you will start the ascent to the first hut Miriakamba Hut, The walk takes 4-5 hours through the dense rainforest, Dinner and overnight at Miriakamba Hut. alt. (2750mts.)
Day 2: Walking Through Saddle Hut
After breakfast with picnic lunch starts to ascend to Saddle Hut alt. 3750m. The hut is between the two peaks of Mount Meru Little Meru and Big Meru. The walk takes 4 – 5 hours, today if you wish you can discuss with your Guide so you can have hot lunch as a substitute for packed lunch. In the afternoon you will have an acclimatization walk to little Meru, then back to saddle hut for dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Start to trek to summit
After a cup of tea at 1:30 am or 2:00 am, start to climb to the summit which is 4566m. The ascent takes 5 – 6 hours, you will be able to see Mount Kilimanjaro from the top as well as Arusha town and Meru Crater but only if the sky is clear. After a short celebration descends to saddle hut for lunch, then proceed to Miriakamba for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Descending Towards the Gate
After breakfast, you will keep descending towards the gate where you will meet our driver with a waiting car ready to drive you back to Arusha Outpost hotel where the tour ends.
• Trekking Poles: adjustable poles
• Trekking Boots: comfortable trekking boots or mid-top hiking shoes
• Socks: minimum 3 pair thick mountaineering socks and 3 pair liner socks
• Short Underwear: 1-2 pair of synthetic short underwear
• Long Underwear: 1-2 pair lightweight long underwear pants and shirts
• Long Underwear: 1 pair of heavy expedition weight long underwear
• Trekking Pants: nylon pants worn during warm days
• Soft Shell Jacket: a hooded jacket
• Soft Shell Pants: for trekking and climbing
• Insulated Jacket: PrimaLoft or down
• Expedition Down Parka: a hooded down jacket with 800 minimal down fill
• Insulated Pants: PrimaLoft or down, these should have full side zippers
• Hard Shell Jacket: to be worn in wet conditions
• Hard Shell Pants: to be worn in wet conditions, these pants should have full side zippers
• Headlamp: bring extra batteries
• Warm Hat: a warm fleece or wool hat
• Balaclava: to cover your face and neck on windy days
• Sun Hat: a baseball style sun camp
• Buff: 1-2 of these to wear around your neck & face to block the wind, UV rays, dust
• Glacier Glasses: wrap around style sunglasses with dark lenses
• Goggles: with dark lenses
• Soft Shell Gloves: 1 pair
• Shell Gloves with Insulated Liner: 1 pair
• Shell Mittens with Insulated Liner: 1 pair
• Trekking Backpack: a 20-40 liter backpack
• Sleeping Bag: rated to at least -20 °F (down is preferable over synthetic)
• Compression Stuff Sacks: for reducing volume for your sleeping bag and down jacket
• Self-Inflating Pad: a full-length air mattress
• Closed Cell Foam Pad: full length is best
• Sunscreen: SPF 50 or stronger
• Lips screen: SPF 30 or stronger
• Water Bottles: 2 bottles with 1-liter capacity each
• Water Bottle Parkas: to keep your water from freezing
• Pee Bottle: 1+ liter capacity recommended
• Pee Funnel: for women
• Knife: optional
• Toiletry Bag: toothpaste, toothbrush, baby wipes, etc.
• Hand Sanitizer: 2 small bottles
• Hand Warmers / Toe Warmers: 1-2 sets of each for summit day
• Trash Compactor Bags (3): to line stuff sacks and separate gear
• Camera: lightweight with extra batteries
• Travel Clothes: for days in Arusha or on safari
• Large Duffel Bag with Lock: for transporting all personal gear during the climb, waterproof is best
• Small Duffel Bag: to store items in the hotel
• Small Personal First Aid Kit: athletic tape, band-aids, Ibuprofen, Moleskin, blister care products, personal medications, cough drops, etc.
• Acetazolamide (Diamox) for altitude illness, antibiotics such as Ciprofloxacin or Azithromycin for gastrointestinal or respiratory illness, Ibuprofen for muscle soreness, Pepto Bismol for loose stool, Excedrin for headaches, anti-nausea medications, etc.
• Electrolyte Replacement Drink Mix: bring a supply for 6 days
• Energy Gel: single serving gel packs such as GU, Clif Shot, Powergel, etc.
• Energy Bars: Power Bar, Cliff Bar, etc.
• Candy Bars: Snickers, Mars, Twix, Milky Way, etc.
Note: A refillable water bottle/flask is required for the trek, no plastic or disposable bottles are allowed on the mountain and they may be confiscated prior to the hike.
Tour Price: $ 1,200.
- All park entrance, and administrative fees
- All meals 3 times a day whilst on the Mount
- 3-liter water on a daily basis
- Transport to and from the park gate to hotel
- Whilst on mountain is camping accommodation
- International airfares and departure taxes
- All items of personal nature such as telephone call, fax, email etc.
- Tips and gratuities to hotel, lodges, porters, camp staff and driver guide
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Laundry services
- Visa and International flight tickets fees.
Tipping is an expected and highly appreciated component of your Mt. Meru trek.
Your group will be assigned a Lead Guide, and a group of porters. The number of porters designated to your group will depend on the amount of baggage and equipment is taken on the trek; this typically works out to 2-3 porters per traveler, but this number will be confirmed by Arusha National Park ranger at the Momella gate once all baggage is checked.
It is best to present your crew with the group’s tip upon completion of your climb, during the last meal on the mountain. Tips should be placed in a group envelope and a member of the climbing team can hand the envelope directly to the Lead Guide. It is encouraged to announce the amount in front of the group to ensure each crew member knows the total amount.
You can use the following chart as a guideline.
(Amounts in USD or local equivalent)
Per Chief Guide: US$10-15 per day
Per Assistant Guide: US$8-10 per day
Per Cook: US$8-10 per day
Per Porter: US$5-8 per day